Mens Basketball

Buddy Boeheim’s ascent to Syracuse’s best shooter born out of necessity

Elizabeth Billman | Asst. Photo Editor

Buddy is a 3-point shooter, and SU’s best, according to Jim Boeheim.

Buddy Boeheim walked to the lectern in Sims Hall with a few index cards in his hands. He was in Communications and Rhetorical Studies 325: Presentational Speaking, about to give an informational speech to a class of about 20 students a few weeks before Syracuse’s 2019-20 season.

“Hi, I’m Buddy,” the 6-foot-6 sophomore started, “and this may surprise you, but I’m going to talk about basketball.”

The quip drew a laugh, and Buddy continued. During the five-minute presentation, the son of SU’s 44-year-head coach detailed the sport they both love. Buddy waxed about the teamwork needed to win games and the sport’s transition from James Naismith’s peach baskets to a top-four sport in the country. Eventually, Buddy reached the game’s modern era and the advent of the 3-point line.

It transformed the game, Buddy argued. After presenting NBA-legend Michael Jordan’s 3-point percentage (17.3% in his first year, 32.7% career), Buddy looked up and smirked.

“I’m also glad the 3-pointer was invented,” he said, deviating from his notecards.

Months later, Buddy has reaped the benefits of the deep ball in his first season as a starter for Syracuse (9-7, 2-3 Atlantic Coast). His 58 makes from 3 are the 12th-most in Division-I, 10 off the leader, McNeese’s Dru Kuxhausen. His 40.3% shooting clip from behind the arc is fifth in the ACC and a few ticks better than his 37.5% two-point rate — an aspect of his game he’s tried to work on this year to diversify his skillset. But make no mistake, Buddy is a 3-point shooter, and SU’s best, according to Jim Boeheim.

buddy-stats

Roshan Fernandez | Asst. Digital Editor

Buddy spent most of his first year in orange on the bench. When he played, coaches and teammates urged him to shoot more. In his second season, he seems to have gotten the message. He’s attempted at least five more shots in every game, averaging 18 more minutes and nine more points. The path from bench piece to SU’s second-most important player came from increased confidence, former Orange coach and friend Eric Devendorf said.

But it’s mostly born out of necessity. Syracuse’s offense is reliant on Buddy, Elijah Hughes and Joe Girard III’s 3-point prowess. Most of Buddy’s worst-performances this season have been followed by similar pleas from his coach: shoot more.

“Buddy struggled,’’ Boeheim said after SU’s most-recent win against Virginia on Jan. 11. “He couldn’t make anything, but I know if we keep getting him those shots, he’s going to make them.’’

Against the Cavaliers, Buddy missed 10 of his first 11 shots. He still finished with 14 points. Last year, his role was limited to garbage time. Opposing crowds bashed the coach’s son. Buddy wouldn’t be as aggressive after a few misses, let alone 10. But he doesn’t have that choice anymore. Devendorf, who texts Buddy before and after games, echoes the coaching staff’s message of constantly hurling 3s at the rim.

Syracuse’s offense has worked on getting its three playmakers the ball in space and behind the arc. When Virginia suffocated the Orange in their first meeting on Nov. 6, Buddy went one-for-eight from deep. In the week that followed, assistant coach Gerry McNamara implemented more of a circle-motion game plan, originally used with Trevor Cooney, Michael Gbinije and Malachi Richardson. Buddy followed with a more efficient three-for-five performance against Colgate, crediting the spacing of a scheme he grew up watching.

“I know I need to be more of a shooter this year for us to be effective on offense,” Buddy said in November. “That’s something I’m working on more than anything.”

Being a shooter comes with cold stretches, and Buddy hasn’t been immune. His best runs, hitting six and seven threes against Georgia Tech and Georgetown respectively, have been bookended by his worst nights — like when he went one-for-seven and three-for-11 against nonconference opponents.

The Orange have routinely used an elbow screen by forward Marek Dolezaj to spring Buddy or Hughes near the 3-point arc. At times, Buddy has made it a point to work on a dribble-drive, pull-up jumper to draw defenders in and, in turn, give him more room to operate for a 3. He and SU’s forwards also dedicate five minutes of each practice to in-bounds plays where Buddy hands the ball off to a big, who then screens a guard while Buddy behind the arc.

buddy-pull-quote

Roshan Fernandez | Asst. Digital Editor

Boeheim said earlier this season that SU’s offense has used more movement than it has in years to create space for shooters. That’s come from the lack of an “alternative,” Boeheim said on Dec. 3 post-Iowa.

“As long as I’ve known him (Buddy’s) been a gym rat,” Devendorf said. “…He learned the good form, technique early. It doesn’t hurt that he’s 6-foot-5 and he can shoot over the defense. He also has a quick trigger and added up that’s what makes him a great shooter.”

After a corner 3 with 3:01 left gave SU a lead over Virginia, the shots started falling. Boeheim scored nine more points in the overtime period — two 3s, one mid-range and one free throw. The highlight of the game was a near half-court heave, creating a permanent fixture in Buddy’s own Syracuse history. But a more telling moment came a few minutes earlier, with the Orange on a blistering run. Hughes and Girard had each swished deep tries, the contest was nearly decided. Buddy capped the run with wing 3 that forced a UVA timeout.

As he jogged across the court, the crowd at John Paul Jones Arena mostly silent, Buddy nodded his head.
“I’m gonna keep shooting,” he shouted, as if everyone didn’t already know.